Class JQ wagon

Welcome to NZ120.ORG Forums Prototype Class JQ wagon

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Lewis Holden 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Lewis Holden
    Keymaster

The JQ class was an experimental wagon based on the JP class built in the late 1980s. The JQ wagon had telescoping doors (like the experimental JX class) but instead of steel, fibreglass was used. Although the JQ never went into production, fibreglass doors did show up on the newer ZG and ZH class box wagons.

Plan is from an old Rails magazine and pics I’ve had saved on my laptop for a while – sorry don’t know who the owner is.

Lewis Holden
    Keymaster

Lewis Holden
    Keymaster

Clearer picture of plans for the JQ from Rails “Novemvber” 1993. Wasn’t a good month for copyediting in this issue it seems, the next page says Rails October 1993…

The chassis appears to be a UK, but I can’t find any reference to this – doesn’t appear to be a UN as it’s too long. The JQ is also referred to interchangeably as “ZQ” in the text (copyediting again!) which would imply the chassis is a UK, as the other variants based on UK wagons were classified ZXX (e.g. ZBP, ZC, ZD etc).

Trackgang
    Participant

Must have a look at the Rails article, but it looks like the prototype for ZG’s.

Russ

Lewis Holden
    Keymaster

Have made a start last on this – it appears all the Jx wagons have the same ends. I might be able to re-use the design for a JP wagon.

Russell – yeah the ZG was introduced about the same time, in fact the article has designs for both the ZG and JQ wagons, my guess is the ZG was more successful in service than the JQ and went into production.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.