New to NZ120, I have a couple of questions

Welcome to NZ120.ORG Forums NZ120 New to NZ120, I have a couple of questions

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jonty Bennett 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Jonty Bennett
    Participant

Hey everyone,

I’m just starting out in railway modelling and came across NZ120, and thought this would be a perfect fit with my vision of what I wanted to model.

I have had a good read through both the forum archive here and the various blogs and found a fair bit of detail as to what kind of standards you are all working to regarding modules and the like. So far I have amassed some Code 55 Peco track and Medium Turnouts, as well as a Kato SD70ACe with the shapeways DL model on its way from the US, along with a couple of items of rolling stock to begin with. Is there an up to date version of the NZ120 module standard available at all?

My second question is, what is a good operating coupler to use in this scale? I have seen reference to the Micro-Trains operating couplers, is there a specific model or part number of coupler that is commonly used in this format?

Thanks in advance 🙂

Jonty

ECMT
    Participant

Welcome Jonty. I’m not sure which module standard you refer to (there was one proposed many years ago by Rod Murgatroyd etc) or the one talked about on the old NZ120.org forum. I think that set of proposed guidelines suggested the use of an end plate for modules – which to a certain extent has been superceded by the use of module ends available from http://marksmodelworks.weebly.com/kits-and-bits.html (see bottom of page).

I think the Microtrains couplers most used are 1015’s.

Jonty Bennett
    Participant

Hey ECMT,

Yes, the latest I found on the module side of things was using those module end pieces, glad I’m on the right track. I’m not sure if I’d ever get to the point of having it displayed or linked with others, but definitely going modular with it in mind is the right way to go.

Cheers

Jonty

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.