NZR In 1:87/S Scale

Welcome to NZ120.ORG Forums Other New Zealand scales NZR In 1:87/S Scale

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Peregrine 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Peregrine
    Participant

Hello everybody! I am making a layout which is a fictional town on the main trunk line with a Tramway network, and i’m wondering if anyone knows where I could get kits or regular models of 1:87/S Scale Locomotives

Thanks in advance!

Lewis Holden
    Keymaster

Hi Peregrine,

Not trying to split hairs, but S scale is 1:64 and HO scale is 1:87. The confusing part is that track gauge for HO scale (16.5mm) is the same as narrow gauge (3 foot 6 inches / 1067mm) at a scale of 1:64.

In terms of where to get kits of steam locomotives in S scale, as far as I know all the manufacturers have now disappeared – the main ones being John Gardener (who is recently deceased, RIP) and Ken Cousin’s Online Models, which is now out of business. John Agnew’s Railmaster Products is still around, but I think he only does a few models which are NZR outline. IIRC North Yard made a NZR AA class kit but I’m not sure if they still make it.

In short, you’re better off going down the NZ120 path if you want NZR steam locos 🙂

Peregrine
    Participant

“Not trying to split hairs, but S scale is 1:64 and HO scale is 1:87. The confusing part is that track gauge for HO scale (16.5mm) is the same as narrow gauge (3 foot 6 inches / 1067mm) at a scale of 1:64.” Oops! thats what I meant.

Damn! I guess I got into the 1:87 and S scale market late. I would like to do 120 But I have already bought a american HO Scale locomotive, Why must it be so hard!!

Thanks for the help!

Lewis Holden
    Keymaster

There’s a number of NZ120 steam locos available on Shapeways, and plenty of N scale mechanisms.

What sort of steam locos are you looking at?

Peregrine
    Participant

I’m looking for main trunk steamers as I recently went for my first time on the main trunk,

I might switch to N if I cant find any S or HO scale NZR Locomotives in a few months.

Thanks!

ECMT
    Participant

If you keep an eye out locos etc in S scale come up occasionally on Trademe. There’s an A class loco on there at the moment – $1050. The same seller has a just sold a Dsg for $890. Is that the sort of money you are willing to spend ? Or if you’re keen on kits, do you have any experience building kits, or low melt soldering ?

Peregrine
    Participant

Damn, That’s a high price, Im fine with kits and for experience I am a starter but If I can get my hands on any kit I will be
    happy to get it! I’m still deciding if I should switch to 120 since it seems like a good scale for NZR Locomotives

Thanks!

ECMT
    Participant

Here’s a link to Trackgang Products website. They have both S and NZ120 scale kits in stock.
    http://trackgangproducts.co.nz/

Peregrine
    Participant

I’t seems I have to go with using 1:120 since most NZR Items in S seem to be really expensive

I hope they have N scale Auckland Trams!

Lewis Holden
    Keymaster

Nit picking again… Auckland’s trams were 1435mm gauge which is the same as standard gauge. At 1:160 N scale is the same as standard gauge.

https://www.greaterauckland.org.nz/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Auckland-Isthmus-tramlines.jpg

Peregrine
    Participant

Oh damn I need to learn more about gauge… Thanks! Now I start the hunt for the Auckland tram!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.